Thursday, October 20, 2005

GCE "O" Level Science(Physics\Chemistry) Practical Exam. Oh dear..

Being a Singaporean and an fourth express-stream secondary school student or a fifth year normal academic-stream student, the time comes when you have to finally take the dreaded CAMBRIDGE GENERAL CERTIFICATE OF EDUCATION ORDINARY LEVEL EXAMINATION. Although I've taken the Mid-Year mother tongue paper and passed with flying colours by my standard(And by that I mean a C6), I never really cared for it, even though I did get jittery during the exam.

Anyway, today was my first End Of Year(EOY) paper, which was the Science(Physics\Chemistry) Practical. It was fairly simple, and for my chemistry practical, I got Zinc Nitrate as my Salt T.(Anyone who wishes to express what they got may do well so in the comments). My crystallised Salt T turned yellow when hot, and back to white upon cooling. This meant that it was either: A) Zinc, B) Calcium.

The next part, SOLUTION T, I got a definite answer to Zinc as both Ammonium Hydroxide and Sodium Hydroxide produced White PPT, and was soluble in excess.

Nitrate was fairly simple, Sodium Hydroxide to Solution T, add crumpled Aluminium foil, heat. Ammonia gas was produced, which turned damp red litmus paper blue.

Hence I conclude Salt T is Zinc Nitrate..

Heh. No pictures today, because my mobile wasn't allowed to the exam venue. ALTHOUGH I DID take a picture of the bus which took me to my impending doom.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

2 Comments:

At 11:25 PM, Blogger safelists said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:03 AM, Blogger Y said...

I guess the practical was pretty easy? Anyway, nice picture of the Mercedes Benz O.405 Converted AC. I long time no see such buses. :(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home